Thursday, May 1, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!

For those who don't know, I sometimes have a sidekick when I cover many of the NASCAR races. She has been to the Dallas races at Texas Motor Speedway many times and even to the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.  And while she can be a pain in the ass at times, for the most part she is a wealth of knowledge about the sport.
She was even the one that got me interested in NASCAR to begin with. She may not remember it but she was complaining that KFDM Channel 6 was preempting NASCAR races and replacing it with other shows. She, and dozens of others as I later found out, filed complaints with the station. I know because there is a caveat in the law that allows citizens to pull complaints on tv stations and review them.
Now, many of you who read my weekly column in The Examiner Newspaper don't get to see her work because it is usually posted to the Web site at www.theexaminer.com (when it works). But aside from being technologically challenged and not being able to figure out the intricacies of her Nikon D100, she gets a good shot every once in a while. And, when there is a photoshoot halfway across the track that I don't feel like walking to, she is eager to go cover it. 
This past week, she turned 60 and she probably doesn't think that I even gave it a second thought; however that was not the case. Unfortunately for her, this year's birthday fell on the day before payday (even after 36 years, I'm still broke on that day) and  a very busy Tuesday when I was working on a major story for The Examiner Newspaper.
But I knew she would be the first person to log onto this new site to see what was posted and I hope this was a big enough surprise. So, Happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments: