Friday, November 7, 2008

The Examiner's NASCAR contest a big hit with readers

Before I go too far into this week's column, I want to send out a huge thank you to all of the people who entered The Examiner's NASCAR VIP Getaway Weekend Contest.

There were hundreds of entries gathered via online and at The Examiner's kiosk at Parkdale Mall, and I am so appreciative of the support our contest received.

Personally, I could not have asked for better winners (unless you won, of course) because both the grand-prize winner and the runner-up are huge NASCAR fans.

Our runner-up, Lawrence Farris, is probably one of the biggest Jeff Gordon fans that I have ever met and he was ecstatic when he was told that he was the recipient of some excellent front stretch tickets. With a Gordon seat cushion in-hand, Farris cheered as Gordon began the Dickies 500 from the pole position.

Then, there was Deborah Walker, who took her son, Adam Clopp, with her to the NASCAR Tripleheader event. As always, Walker received two VIP Pit Passes, tickets to all of the races, luxury hotel accommodations and $250 in cash.

So, thanks again. We will have another contest for the April Samsung 500 at Texas Motor Speedway, and who knows? You might be the next winner.

If you read zwww.kickinthetires.net throughout the weekend or, at least, looked at the photos, then you had to see a wonderful couple from Woodville — Hale and Danyell Hughes. You can read about their story in the adjacent article but I just want to thank them for sharing a little bit about themselves with me. I wasn't around them for very long but these two individuals make me proud that I am a NASCAR fan and that they nearby. We need more people like them representing our community.

I hate to say it but, for their sakes, I kind of hoped that Carl Edwards would (a) run out of fuel (b) get a flat tire (c) get tapped from behind causing him to go up the track or (d) all of the above.

I can't think of anything that would have been more fitting Sunday than to see Hale and Danyell presented with a $1 million check after Jeff Gordon won the race.

Hale is about as "real" as you can get, and Danyell is one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met, except for my wife.

OK, so back to the garage. What's happening? Well, the big news isn't really news; it is something we are all dealing with. Throughout the weekend, all I heard about was how the the dismal economy was hurting NASCAR. In fact, it was the first race that I am aware of that has not sold out at Texas Motor Speedway.

To combat the problem, teams are laying people off, closing race shops and consolidating their efforts. In other words, as Richard Childress told me on Friday, "We are cutting back."

You knew it was coming, especially in a sport that is dependent on the oil and automotive industries, but I think NASCAR will survive and be stronger for it.

I did just receive an e-mail from Richard Childress Racing explaining a reorganization of its business unit and there are also notices of layoffs at Hendrick Motorsports, which employs 550-plus people.

"The purpose of this reorganization is to be more efficient for our sponsors and everyone involved in making RCR a success," said Richard Childress, president and CEO of RCR. "Ben (Sclosser) has a very good understanding of the business side of RCR so bringing the communications, licensing and show car departments under his supervision, along with the partnership marketing department, will allow all of those units to work together more seamlessly."

Schlosser was promoted to senior vice-president of business operations and Bill Patterson was named executive vice-president of support services.

As for any really breaking news, there isn't any, to speak of. Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates is looking at a merger opportunity with just about anyone in the garage and it may happen with Dale Earnhardt Inc. You never know, but this one is fun to watch.

I am going to go ahead and close this week's column out, but you have to feel really bad for this woman I am about to mention. Imagine sitting in your motorhome at a racetrack, and all of a sudden, a .50-caliber bullet comes crashing through your roof and hits you in the arm. Yes, I said .50-caliber. Apparently, some dufus was target practicing, oh, about 6 miles away, and the bullet ricocheted off of a earthen berm. Honestly, the guy probably isn't a dufus, and in the grand scheme of things, he did a stand-up thing. When he heard that a stray .50-caliber bullet hit someone at TMS, he went to the Fort Worth Police Department and said, "I think am the guy you are looking for" or something to that effect. Anyway, the police are investigating. They confiscated his rifle and the poor guy could face charges. Here is my take on this: When you target practice you are supposed to have a backstop, usually an earthen berm. He did that. He (supposedly) had no intent to shoot anyone, especially 6 miles away. I don't care how well he can shoot. Anyway, this is a freak thing, and I hear the woman will recover — I just don't know if she is the luckiest person alive or the unluckiest person alive.

That's it for this week. I will be posting more photos from TMS on www.kickinthetires.net later this week, so check them out.

No comments: