Thursday, May 15, 2008

Lowe's Motor Speedway

After 20 hours of driving, I finally made it close to the Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte/Concord, N.C. It was a tedious trip and I saw no less than 10 major accidents including three overturned 18 wheelers and an 8-car pileup.
The latter cost me about an hour as I was forced to sit in traffic.
Anyway, I head to the track in the morning and will be updating daily for the next week. We have the truck race and qualifying for the All Star Race tomorrow night. So, be sure to check back for updates. I have learned that Dario Franchitti will not attempt to run in the Sprint Cup Showdown. He is still suffering from a broken ankle and Chip Ganassi decided to withdraw Franchitti's entry.
Also, Friday, May 16, is NASCAR Day. I will try to update the site in the morning and provide a phone number for anyone wishing to make a donation. I will be hanging out at the Sam Bass Galleries across from the track and will hopefully get a couple of good driver interviews.
Well, that is it for now, I am "borrowing" wireless Internet from the Marriott in Concord, so I better go.

8:11 a.m UPDATE:

The number to call in order to make donations for this year's NASCAR Day fundraising event is: 1-888-629-1684.

I got to the credential office this morning at 7 a.m. EST to obtain my credentials and guess what, there was an error. After some discussion and a phone call to the head media guy, we worked it out and I now have awesome access throughout the facility.
I am working a pretty good story with another NASCAR reporter and will have it in the hardcopy edition of The Examiner next week.
Be sure to check back throughout the weekend for updates and a link to photos at www.theexaminer.com

No comments: