Saturday, June 14, 2008

On his third try Joey Logano gets first win

Joey Logano, the kid they call 'Sliced Bread," got his first-ever win in the Nationwide Series besting the field at Kentucky Speedway on Saturday night and becoming the youngest driver in history to do so.
It looked like a battle might shape up between Logano and Kyle Busch but with 20-or-so laps to go, Busch lost control of his Toyota Camry and slammed into the outside wall. That left the race for Logano to lose — and he didn't. It was just three weeks ago at Dover, that Logano got his first start in the Nationwide Series and he almost went out and won his first race. Last week, he sat on the pole at Nashville and now he is in Victory Lane.
"Unbelievable, that's for sure," Logano said as he climbed out of his car in Victory Lane. "I have to thank GameStop and all the fans. The team was amazing today. I didn't think we had the car today and I said I would be happy with a Top 5. I tell you what. How about this team. It's freaking amazing. I gotta alive this moment first before I live anything else."
Logano's dad Tom was at the race and said this was the best Father' Day he's ever had, as he celebrated his son's win.

Man, I don't know what to say. I was at the press conference at Lowe's Motor Speedway when they announced that Logano would be taking over driving duties for the No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing machine. Still being a teenager, Logano was a perfect fit for Grapevine, Tx.-based GameStop.
I t was most-certainly a party atmosphere as they unveiled a 47-pound cake to celebrate Logano's 18th birthday and they let it be known that this kid was the real deal.
I believe them and I think it is safe to say that he has proven himself.
I have heard rumors for the past two weeks that Tony Stewart will vacate the No. 20 Home Depot Toyota at the end of the season and it is very possible that Logano will take over that ride. It could be very interesting.

No comments: