Sunday, October 26, 2008

Edwards does double flips with wins on Saturday and Sunday


Sprint Cup Championship contender Carl Edwards backed up his Saturday Nationwide Series win at Memphis with a commanding win in the Pep Boys Auto 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
With his trademark backflip to celebrate when he crosses the finish line at the front of the pack, Edwards was elated to get a win with just three more races in the 2008 season.
"First of all, I've got t thank Office Depot, Aflac ,Ford, Sprint and also these fans for coming here," Edwards said from Victory Lane. "Man, the second-to-last restart, Denny spun his tires and I spun mine a little bit and then he spun them again and I pushed his bumper and then he spun them again (third time) and then he went to the inside. I thought, "Here's my chance to get to the outside.'
"I thought I was going to bump him and he was gonna keep on going and I figured I'd follow him for a while but it just worked out great."
But Edwards glee was tarished when he learned that two-time defending Sprint Cup Champion Jimmie Johnson fought his way back from being a lap down to come across the finish-line in second place.
"Are you kidding me," Edwards asked. "Man, you've rained on my parade all day. I could have done without that one. Jimmie is an awesome competitor. I mean, Chad ad Rick and all those guys came down to congratulate me, but that 's unbelievable. He does a great job."
In the media center after the race, Johnson said after he came in to the pits to get fresh tires on the final caution of the race, he felt like he was in the "perfect situation."
With just 18 cars on the lead lap, Johnson knew that he didn't have much to lose by giving up a 10th place position to get fresh tires. The move paid off and after Johnson fought from 18th to fourth, he almost decided to hold position.
"I was like, 'wait, there's two more positions up there that I can get easily.' So, I just put my head down and went for it," Johnson said.
Heading into the coming race at Texas Motor Speedway, Johnson has a 183-points over Edwards in his attempt for a third straight championship bid. Johnson could actually clinch the title next week but more than likely that will come at Phoenix if everything continues to go well for him.
"It sure would make Homestead a lot easier for me," Johnson said with a chuckle.

No comments: